There is something that is seemingly very small, yet has enormous power to change your life.
It is Gratitude.
This alone can turn things around for you. Don’t diminish its power. Because when you look deep into why it works so well, you’ll see way more than meets the eye.
There was a time in my life when all I could see was my pain, my lack and my weaknesses.
Guess what? When that is all you see…that is what you GET. Over and over and over….a vicious cycle that makes you think life is shit, then you die.
Been there, done that.
But even if you’re in a dark place, there is always something – even if it is ONE thing- that is valuable enough to be grateful for. Even if it is just the fact that where you are makes you realize it isn’t where you want to be. Yes, even that is something to be grateful for!
I began with ONE thing. Slowly, I started adding to my list:
That meal I just ate was amazing…I am so grateful for good food. That hot bath I took felt awesome, I’m so grateful for my bathtub. That book I just read was a great escape into a cool world, I’m so grateful for books. That movie was hilarious, I’m grateful for comedy…
Pretty soon I realized there was a hell of a LOT that I could be grateful for. When that happened, suddenly my world changed. There was MORE of the awesome, and less of the shit.
What you focus on expands.
Focusing on Gratitude will change your life because it changes your perspective.
I focus on all the awesomeness and how grateful I am for it on a daily basis now. Not as some pressured ritual, or Pollyanna–must-always-be-positive fake way, but because it is genuinely part of my abundant lifestyle now.
Here is my list of the top 10 Things I’m Grateful for:
- My kids – they’re grown, happy and living their passions.
- Where I live – Asheville, NC – need I say more? 😉
- That I learned how to laugh and have fun and enjoy silliness.
- Food – I’m a foodie – food is awesome and I enjoy it daily!
- Spotify – yep, I love all types of music and I have access to whatever genre I want through Spotify (including my son’s album!)
- My health – after years of debilitating back pain, I am now pain free! (I’ll put massage and chiropractics in here!)
- Amazing Creativity that allows me to enjoy good stories via books, TV shows and movies. (yay for the freedom we all have to create!)
- Family & Friends – there are those who have stood by me when I was at my lowest…not enough can be said about the importance of having friends and family who love you no matter what.
- Soulmancing – yep, what I learned about myself through the cards made such a huge difference in my life, they are in my top 10 list!
- Spiritual mentors and teachers – I would not be where I am without the support and wisdom from those who mentored me and those whose services I paid for, because sometimes we need the advice, support and counsel of others to make our way.
What are you grateful for?